Our database of the month for April is ProQuest Historical Newspapers.
Historical Newspapers offer full text searching and access to the archives of some key British, Irish, Indian and US newspapers, incl. a selection of black newspapers, from the 1800s to the 2000s:
- The Guardian 1821-2003
- The Observer 1791-2009
- The Times of India 1838-2002
- The Irish Times 1859-2010
- The Weekly Irish Times 1867-1958
- The Scotsman 1817-1950
- The Chicago Defender 1910-1975
- The New York Amsterdam News 1922-1993
- The New York Times 1851-2009
- The Pittsburgh Courier 1911-2002
- The Washington Post 1877-1996
The archive offers access to primary source material with full text search and also the original print layout of the article so that you can see the context of the article within that edition of the newspaper.
Advanced search tools allow cross-searching with other ProQuest databases (e.g. Dissertations and Theses) and also narrowing results to specific dates, publications and types of newspaper article. Results can be limited to images or editorial content and advertising and obituaries can also be searched.
How can I access it?
University of Oxford members can access this subscription resource on and off campus via OxLIP+. Remember to sign on to OxLIP+ with your Single Sign-On (SSO) when accessing the database off-campus.
Other newspaper archives online
Great Britain and Ireland:
- 17th-18th Century Burney Collection Newspapers [Oxford subscription]
- 19th Century British Library Newspapers [Oxford subscription]
- British Newspapers 1600-1900 [Oxford subscription]
- Daily Mirror [Oxford subscription]
- Economist Historical Archive (1843-2008) [Oxford subscription]
- Financial Times (1888-2008) [Oxford subscription]
- Illustrated London News Historical Archive (1842-2003) [Oxford subscription]
- Spectator, The (1828-2000) [Oxford subscription]
- Times Digital Archive, The (1785-2006) [Oxford subscription]
- British Newspaper Archive (BNA) – search for free but pay-per-view
- Welsh Newspapers Online – free on web
- Europeana Newspapers
- ANNO – AustriaN Newspapers Online
- Biblioteca Virtual de Prensa Historica
- Swiss digitized newspapers
- Tijdschriften 1850 – 1940 (Koninklijke Bibliotheek)
- Zeitungsinformationssystem ZEFYS (Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin)
- Zeitungen des Ersten Weltkrieges
- 19th Century U.S. Newspapers [Oxford subscription]
- Latin American Newspapers (1805-1922) [Oxford subscription]
Related Links OxLIP+ | Guide to using OxLIP+ | Bookmarked websites for newspapers (HFL Delicious) | Primary Sources Online Guide for Historians (PDF) | Modern History Sources Guide (PDF) | Contact the History Librarian