This summer building work will be taking place in the Old Bodleian Library and Radcliffe Camera during the Long Vacation.
It will be necessary to close the Lower Camera for a period of five weeks but we expect to maintain services throughout. During this time there will be a staff-mediated fetching service for open shelf material housed in the Lower Camera. Bodleian History Faculty Library books can still be borrowed and returned as normal in an alternative location (Upper Gladstone Link tbc). Further detailed information about arrangements and the schedule of works will be advertised soon here on the blog and on the Bodleian History Faculty Library website.
Old Bodleian Library – work likely to begin on 17 June
- Re-flooring the Upper Reading Room to provide a quieter working environment
- Re-lighting the Lower Reading Room to provide a better and quieter working environment and to be more energy efficient
- Closure of the Lower Reserve and changes to provide additional capacity for open shelf material and seating for readers
- Setting up a Self-Collect Reserve in the Reference Room to allow readers direct collection of requested stack material
- Re-purposing the Photocopying Area in the Upper Reading Room to provide an expanded Mediated Reserve
Radcliffe Camera – work likely to begin in August until mid September
- Creation of a new entrance to the Radcliffe Camera in Bay 4 of the Lower Camera to provide easy disabled access to the building and to improve security and circulation of material. This will allow books to be moved freely between the Upper Camera and other parts of the central Bodleian Library site.
- Additional seating will be added to the Upper and Lower Camera
- Setting up a Self-Collect Reserve in the Lower Camera to allow readers direct collection of requested stack material
There will be some noise and minor disruption associated with these projects but it is intended to confine works to one building at a time as far as possible. If you have any deadlines, concerns or need support during this time, please contact us.
Related Links Bodleian History Faculty Library Building Works webpage | Contact Us