AMAZING NEWS! To support students and researchers during the COVID-19 crisis, Gale / Cengage very generously giving full access to a vast range of source databases and newspapers.
They are all relevant for early modern and modern historians and cover a wide range of topics.
The resources can be accessed and cross-searched in Gale Primary Sources (except State Papers Online), but can also be searched in their own native interface. You will need your SSO access these off-campus. They are of course in addition to the ones we already provide access to (see Databases A-Z).
These same titles (excluding State Papers) will be accessible through the Gale Digital Scholar Lab for digital humanities research.
Please note that access to the resources below will cease on 1 September 2020.
- Archives of Sexuality and Gender (ASG)
- LGBTQ History and Culture Since 1940, part I
- LGBTQ History and Culture Since 1940, part II
- Sex and Sexuality, Sixteenth to Twentieth Century
- International Perspectives on LGBTQ Activism & Culture
- China and the Modern World
- part I: Missionary, Sinology and Literary Periodicals
- part II: Records of the Maritime Customs Service of China 1854–1949
- part III: Diplomacy and Political Secrets 1869-1950
- part IV: Hong Kong, Britain and China 1841-1951
- American Amateur Newspapers from the American Antiquarian Society
- American Historical Periodicals
- British Library Newspapers, part V: 1746-1950 (Oxford has Parts I-iV)
- The Independent Historical Archive 1986-2016
- International Herald Tribune Historical Archive, 1888-2013
- Liberty Magazine
- Mirror Historical Archive, 1903-2000
- Picture Post Historical Archive, 1938-1957
- Punch Historical Archive, 1841-1992
- Sunday Times Historical Archive, 1822-2016
- Making of Modern Law (MOML)
- Making of the Modern World (MOMW)
- Oxford has part I: 1450-1850
- part II: 1851–1914
- part III: 1890-1945
- part IV: 1800-1890
- Nineteenth Century Collections Online (NCCO)
- Asia and the West
- British Politics & Society
- Children’s Literature and Childhood
- Europe and Africa, Colonialism and Culture
- European Literature, the Corvey Collection, 1790-1840
- Maps and Travel Literature
- Religion, Reform and Society
- Science, Technology and Medicine, part I
- Science, Technology and Medicine, part II
- Refugees, Relief and Resettlement: Forced Migration and WWII
- Sabin Americana: History of the Americas, 1500-1926
- State Papers Online: Eighteenth Century (Oxford has Tudors & Stuarts)
- part I
- part II
- part III
- part IV
- State Papers Online: Stuart and Cumberland Papers
- Women’s Studies Archive
If you need any help in using these resources, just get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org.
It would be helpful to get feedback, which of these resources are most useful. Email email@example.com.
Thank you, Gale/Cengage, for helping in this very difficult time.