Browse and Borrow – 30 minute session
From Monday 12th October, the History Faculty Library will be offering bookable “Browse and Borrow” sessions:
- You can remain in the library for up to 30 minutes
- You are free to browse the shelves in all reading rooms
- You can use the PCAS machines to copy or scan material
- Books can be issued using the self-issue machine or at the staff desk
- You may not sit at any desks to study during a Browse & Borrow slots as seating capacity cannot be increased to accommodate this.
For further information see: https://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/using/browse-and-borrow
To book a session go to the booking page for the Radcliffe Camera https://tickets.ox.ac.uk/webstore/shop/viewItems.aspx?cg=BODBL&c=RRHFLBL
Click and Collect – withdrawn for History Faculty Library
This service was introduced in early July to facilitate access to the collections when libraries were still closed to readers. It will no longer be possible to place a request via SOLO for this service for History Faculty Library items, as we are not able to offer this service on a wider scale to cope with term-time lending demand. As we have increased the number of slots to access the collections, this will offer more opportunity to our readers to have non-mediated access to collections.
We will continue to offer Click and Collect via email where appropriate (e.g. proxy collection for self-isolating or vulnerable readers).
Seating in reading rooms – more slots available!
We are increasing the number of slots available, as we extended our opening hours and introduce additional seating in the Gladstone Link and Duke Humfrey’s Library. Please be mindful that seating capacity is reduced, so we encourage you to only book the number of slots you need to access print collections or electronic Legal Deposit material. Please also let us know as soon as possible if you need to cancel slot – we are working on improving the process for cancelling a slot.
We appreciate that the Lower Camera is very popular but this reading room has the fewest number of seats available. If you can’t get a seat in the Lower Camera then do consider booking a seat in one of the other reading rooms – from Monday 12th October access via the Gladstone Link tunnel will be reinstated so you can fetch material from any reading room on site and return to your desk.
Returning books on loan
- You do NOT need to book a slot to return books.
- Avoid arriving at the following times at the Radcliffe Camera as there are more likely to be queues of readers with seat booking.
Monday to Friday = 9:30 / 13:30 / 17:00
Saturday = 10:00 / 13:00
Sunday = 12:00 / 15:00
- We have temporarily increased renewals for standard loan items so that you don’t have to return books on Monday 12th October
- There is currently a grace period in operation for fines, so if you can’t return or renew then don’t panic and get in touch with us.
- We are still offering FREE postal return including international courier service. Email email@example.com for more information
Services for self-isolating students
- LibraryScan & Scan&Deliver – https://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/using/scan-and-deliver
- Ebooks and other electronic resources via SOLO
- Click & Collect via a friend (proxy borrowing agreement pre-arranged with library)
Returns of loans via friends
- Online learning – https://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/home/workshops
- 1-1 online consultations with subject librarians
- Live Chat via SOLO
Do get in touch to discuss your individual needs and with library contacts. All of our services are dependent on staffing levels but we will do our best to help you where possible.
- Take advantage of access to online resources via SOLO
- Be organised and book a visit to the library in advance
- Book a Browse and Borrow slot of you only need to access something quickly
- Don’t book multiple slots unless you need extended access to print/eLD collections
- Cancel a slot if you don’t need it via firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to government guidelines, we are required to strictly manage access to our libraries to ensure that we are operating according to social distancing guidelines including NHS Test and Trace. We have introduced new services and adapted existing services in response to unprecedented circumstances and have planned our Michaelmas Term services, as best as we can but there will be inevitable teething issues. We fully anticipated that term time will be challenging and we will be closely monitoring the demand on our services and making changes where required.
Thank you for your patience and please get in touch if you have questions or feedback: email@example.com