Emily Brown, Magdalen College

EmilyHi, my name is Emily and I’m the Library and Archives Graduate Trainee at Magdalen College for 2009/10.  Before coming to Oxford I studied Classical Studies at the University of Reading.  I graduated in 2006 and have since been working for Durham University Library.

What attracted me to the position at Magdalen was undoubtedly the fascinating history of the college and its libraries, and the huge variety of work experience available here.  As the trainee I oversee the Denning Law Library, learn about modern collections management and reader services in  the New Library, and invigilate readers using early printed books and manuscripts in the Old Library.

I also spend half of my week working in the archives.  I was very keen to gain this work experience in addition to learning more about library work before deciding which qualification and career to pursue.  Both careers have interested me in the past and I believe that this year at Magdalen will be highly valuable to whichever path I choose.  It’s certainly going to be a really interesting year!

I am looking forward to learning more about library and archives work and completing my project in the Old Library.   I am really enjoying the training sessions so far and have met a lot of lovely like minded people.  It’s fantastic to socialise and swap stories with the other trainees as we all learn together and in our individual libraries.