Interview with a former trainee (part 2)

Our series of interviews with former trainees continues! This week we hear from Duncan Jones (Old Bodleian Library, 2014/15), Gabrielle Matthews (All Souls College Library, 2013/14), and Jenna Meek (Bodleian Law Library, 2018/19).

The outside of the Old Bodleian, featuring the Earl of Pembroke Statue and the glass window of Duke Humfrey's Library
The Old Bodleian Library, where Duncan was a trainee in 2014/15

What did you most enjoy about this experience?

Duncan:

Working at the main enquiry desk and coming into contact with a range of readers and staff from other departments.  I also enjoyed the experience of being part of the trainee cohort.

Gabrielle:

Receiving training beyond the remit of my own library.

Jenna:

Gaining essential library experience and making friends with the other trainees! I’m still in touch with many of them.

Were there any specific training sessions that you found particularly interesting/useful?

Duncan:

It’s a while ago now but I remember finding the library schools session useful.

Gabrielle:

Frankie Wilson’s training on assessment has really stuck with me! Also, the library visits were really useful and interesting.

Jenna:

I really enjoyed all the visits, but I also felt that the practical sessions were the most useful, e.g. how to use the LMS (Library Management Systems) etc.

Following on from your traineeship, did you (or are you planning to) go to library school? Did the traineeship influence your thoughts on this?

A view of All Souls College from the quad, featuring the library on the left hand side, and a college building on the right
All Souls Library (left), where Gabrielle was a trainee in 2013/14

Duncan:

I did the Sheffield distance learning course from 2015 to 17. The traineeship influenced me to do it but I decided on distance learning because I wanted to be able to carry on working alongside it.

Gabrielle:

I did a LIS MA programme (UCL). The traineeship did influence this decision — speaking with my line manager, my predecessors in the role, and the session about the various programmes helped me make up my mind to do an LIS MA degree.

Jenna:

I did do an MSc in Information & Library Studies at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow. I really enjoyed the course, and it is a very research-led university so everything is very up to date. We also had the opportunity to do a few placements which were super useful for gaining more experience in areas I was particularly interested in, e.g. cataloguing.

In hindsight, what was the most useful thing you took away from the traineeship?

Duncan:

An awareness of roles in the academic library sector and the confidence to apply for different opportunities.

Gabrielle:

A better understanding of academic libraries and how they function.

Jenna:

Practical working experience in a HE library, which helped me get the role I’m in now. It helped me much more than the MSc!

The outside of the Bodleian Law Library
Bodleian Law Library (up the stairs), where Jenna was a trainee in 2018/19

What are you doing now?

Duncan:

Two part-time roles in Oxford – Lending Services Project Coordinator for the Bodleian and Reader Services Librarian at St Anne’s.

Gabrielle:

I’m currently the Senior Assistant Librarian at All Souls College.

Jenna:

I’m a library collections assistant at the Glasgow School of Art library, and I mainly do acquisitions & cataloguing.

Is there anything else you would like to mention?

Duncan:

In my opinion, I don’t recommend working full time alongside a distance learning master’s.  It is a lot of stress to handle for 2-3 years solid.  I would consider a PG-Dip as a cheaper option as well – it still counts as being qualified but there is no need to write (or pay to study for) a dissertation.

Gabrielle:

The trainee programme is a very good way to find out if a library career is for you, and also serves as an excellent foundation for future library work.

Jenna:

I really benefitted from my trainee year, and I would urge anyone considering it to do it! I moved down from Glasgow for it, which was a fairly big move for me, but I had such a good year, and I am always keeping an eye on jobs at the Bodleian in case my circumstances change and I have the opportunity to move back!

For some bonus content, feel free to check out Duncan, Gabrielle and Jenna’s introductory posts to the Bodleian Libraries here:

Duncan: https://blogs.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtrainees/duncan-jones-bodleian-library/

Gabrielle: https://blogs.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtrainees/gabrielle-matthews-the-codrington-library-all-souls-college/

Jenna: https://blogs.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/oxfordtrainees/jenna-meek-bodleian-law-library/