The Lower Reading Room of the Sainsbury Library is about to undergo some important refurbishment work. In order to carry out this work, the Lower Reading Room will be unavailable to students, staff and visitors from Monday, 5th September 2016 until Sunday, 18th September 2016 (both inclusive).
The purpose of the refurbishment work is to do the following:
- provide new carpeting throughout the lower level,
- rearrange the group-work spaces, PCs and desks,
- install new power cubes on the group-work tables,
- install a new library reception desk.
This refurbishment takes place in response to the feedback received by the Sainsbury Library and Oxford Saïd and is aimed at improving the quality of the library space; help reduce the noise levels on the lower level; and generally provide a more welcoming and user-friendly library experience to students, staff and visitors.
During this period, the Upper Reading Room will remain available for work and study. Sainsbury Library staff will be on hand to assist library users and offering a restricted service to readers between 9am – 5pm from the upper level.
The lower level will not be accessible to anyone other than library staff.
We therefore ask that you take note of the following:
- Books required from the lower level will be fetched by library staff on request, during the staffed hours of 9.00am – 4.45pm,
- Loans will continue to be possible between the hours of 9.00am – 4.45pm via library staff,
- Bodleian stack books will be available for anyone to use during this period, but please note that there may be some increased level of noise emanating from the lower level during the refurbishment period,
- When the library is unstaffed (between 5pm-9am and during the weekend) books can be returned at the main Oxford Saïd reception desk.
The following services will not be available to readers during the refurbishment:
- Access into the Library through the lower level doors,
- Self service machine,
- Borrowing when the library is unstaffed (between 5pm-9am and during the weekend),
- Bloomberg terminals,
- Bodleian PCs. For visitors requiring use of a PC, we suggest use of another Bodleian Library during this period. The nearest library with Bodleian PCs is the Sackler Library,
- PCAS (Printing, Copying and Scanning), but a limited printing service will be available to SBS students and staff from the SBS IT desk, Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 4-45pm.
How to access to the Upper Reading Room in the Sainsbury Library?
Anyone wishing to work or study in the library will be able to access the Upper Reading Room via doors located at that level. The route to the doors for the Upper Reading Room will be clearly signposted. Please speak to reception staff if you are in doubt, or give us a call (01865 288880).
Access to PCs and iMacs:
Several PCs and iMacs are available for use by SBS students and staff in the Upper Reading Room.
Standard PCAS machines will not be available to readers during the refurbishment. Some printing support will be available through Oxford Saïd.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused but ask for your cooperation by limiting any borrowing or non-essential use of the library during this time.
We thank you for your cooperation and will look forward to your feedback once the Lower Reading Room has re-opened.