A warm welcome from the Bodleian’s Science and Medicine team!
The RSL is Oxford’s main library for science subjects and pre-clinical medicine, and we look forward to seeing you soon.
The RSL’s usual home is currently closed for refurbishment until late 2021. Bodleian Libraries science library services are currently operating from a temporary base in the Vere Harmsworth Library in the Rothermere American Institute.
Due to the pandemic, the library is currently open only to readers who have booked in advance – this must be done online at www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/using/reading-rooms.
Books can be borrowed from the RSL via the Click and Collect service.
Scans of articles and book chapters are available via Scan and Deliver.
Please don’t hesitate to ask library staff for help. Here are a few pointers to get you started:
- Your Subject Librarian is to person to contact with any questions you have about library services and resources. Contact details for the RSL’s Subject Librarians can be found at www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/science/contact/radcliffe-science-library-staff.
- Our website (www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/science) gives full details of our services.
- News from us: We’re on Twitter as @radcliffescilib and Facebook as Radcliffe Science Library.
- Training. The Bodleian Libraries provides the (now online) iSkills programme, covering such topics as reference management, Open Access and e-books – details are at http://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/workshopsbydate.
- Library Assistant. This is a web-based tool optimised for viewing on smaller screens which gives you essential information about Oxford’s libraries. It’s specifically geared towards helping students new to Oxford navigate their way round Oxford’s library system. Access it on your phone or tablet at www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/assistant.
- LibGuides. These are online guides written by Subject Librarians to get you started with the key resources in your subject area. The full list of Bodleian Libraries Libguides is at http://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/.
- ORLO (Oxford Reading Lists Online). Reading lists for most subjects and courses are now online at http://readinglists.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/. Guidance on using the system can be found at https://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/home/basics.
- SOLO our catalogue will help you find the print or online textbooks that you need to support your studies or research – www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/using/solo
- e-Reference services. Our Library Live Chat service operates from our Webpage and SOLO seven days a week, (9am–7pm on weekdays and 10am–7pm on weekends) and our central email enquiry service is email@example.com.
You can also contact me directly via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Donald M Mackay, Head of MSD & MPLS Libraries