Electricity used to light the library and run PCs, photocopiers and readers’ devices is one of the Social Science Library’s main environmental impacts due to the carbon dioxide emissions resulting from power generation.
Library staff have been taking simple energy saving actions to reduce energy wastage. You can help by:
- Switching off laptops and mobile devices when not in use
- Unplugging chargers when devices are disconnected or fully charged
- Enabling power saving settings on your laptop (this will help your battery last longer too)
- Switching off the Reader PC monitors after use
- Turning off the lights in the Discussion Rooms and Graduate Study Rooms when you leave
See the Greening the SSL web pages to find out more about what we have been doing to improve the library’s environmental sustainability.
For further tips, and to test your climate change knowledge, try the NUS/University of Oxford Student Switch Off Climate Change Quiz which we are proud to support. You could win 50 tubs of ice cream for your college!
To learn more about the University’s work on reducing energy usage see the Environmental Sustainability Reports.