Find a wide range of books and other resources on methodology and statistical analysis in the Social Science Library and online.
Fancy paid business experience with a global publisher?
Become a Gale Ambassador and help raise awareness of the
fascinating digital archives available at your institution.
Gale is an international publisher of digital archives and other library resources such as eBooks.
Many students are unaware of the great digital resources available through the library. This includes many of Gale’s primary source archives, such as –
- The Times Digital Archive, 1785-2013
- The Economist Historical Archive, 1843-2015
- British Library Newspapers
(To see all the Gale archives you can access, search ‘Gale Primary Sources’ on SOLO.)
Gale is recruiting students to undertake awareness-building activities, so more students find out about and use these archives!
The benefits of being a Gale Ambassador:
Gale Ambassadors are paid £500, plus the role is also great for your CV…
- Business experience – work directly with staff at a global publisher
- Get published on our company blog – creating great, shareable evidence of your work
- Run your own marketing activities – refine copy and post placement to make successful use of social media
- Speak at subject society events and lectures – public speaking experience is always great for a CV
- Discover more primary sources for your own essays – potentially improving your grades
- Opportunities for in-house work experience with a global publisher
If you are interested in applying, click here for more information!
What are the benefits of e-books?
- With remote access, e-books are there when you need them; not just in library opening hours
- Full text searching helps save you time when looking for relevant sections, passages and quotes
- Multiple e-books are easy to carry around when stored on your laptop, tablet or e-reader
How to find e-books
The library catalogue SOLO is the best place to find individual e-books. Simply search for the book you want and if an e-book is available it will appear along with the print version of the book. Click here for more information.
All e-books can be read online on the hosting platform without an additional apps. EBL, Ebrary and EBSCO allow you to download and read books offline.
Click here for information on how to use e-books offline and on mobile devices.
For further information see our new e-books LibGuide
Why not borrow on one of our e-readers
The SSL has 4 Nooks that can be borrowed for 7 days (with 2 renewals) by members of the University.
The SSL’s NOOks can be used to read downloaded e-books purchased by the Bodleian Libraries from the EBL, Ebrary and EBSCOhost e-book platforms.The NOOKs are also preloaded with public domain e-books relevant to Social Science taught courses.
To borrow one please ask staff at our issue desk.
Further information and guidance on how to use them is available here.