GALE, the publisher which supplies the Bodleian Libraries’ subscriptions to the digital archives of The Times newspaper and The Economist, among others, is adverstising to recruit two student ambassadors.
For more information or to apply, contact Jess Edwards at Gale (email@example.com) by Wednesday 22 August.
The Library’s lights have now been replaced with new efficient fittings and control switches in our Discussion Rooms, Information Skills Training Room and the Q-Step Teaching Lab.
The following rooms will be unavailable for short periods while the lighting replacement continues. The dates of the work are estimated as follows:
- Central Graduate Study Room: Thursday 26 July – Friday 10 August
- East Graduate Study Room: Monday 13 August – Friday 24 August
As of Tuesday 26 June, the OxLIP+ service has been replaced with a new platform: Databases A-Z.
The new service preserves the primary features of OxLIP+: a searchable platform for bibliographic and reference databases provided by Bodleian Libraries for the University of Oxford, with filters for specific subject disciplines and database types.
OU e-Journals is also now available as a separate service: e-Journals A-Z.
These databases and e-journals are also listed in SOLO.
A long-term project is underway to replace all lights in the Manor Road Building.
New light fittings have been installed in many parts of the Library already, including some staff offices and most of the reader spaces in the South part of the Library.
The following rooms will be closed for short periods in the coming weeks for the new fittings to be installed in each.
All closures are shown at the calendar pages for each room accessed via https://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/ssl/how/discussion-rooms
• Small Discussion Room: Monday 2 – Friday 6 July
• Large Discussion Room: Monday 9 – Friday 13 July
• Information Skills Training Room: Monday 16 – Friday 20 July
• Q-Step teaching lab: Monday 23 July – Friday 3 August
Other lights in the North Area of the Library will be replaced gradually throughout the summer outside Library opening hours.
The new lights are much more efficient than the previous fittings and are creating great energy savings for the building.
If you have any feedback, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vacation opening hours begin on Sunday 18th March:
Monday – Friday: 9am – 7pm
Saturday: 10am – 6pm
Are you a new Postgraduate? To help you get started using the SSL we’ve created a short video which provides you with all the key things you need to know. Click on the image below to view:
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to get in contact with us. Ask one of our friendly staff at our Library Issue Desk for assistance, phone us on 271093, or email us.
More detailed information on how to get started using our library can be found here.
In order to make it clearer to our readers which of our books can be borrowed, we have recently made a couple of changes to the terminology you will see in SOLO.
You can now easily see on SOLO which books are “Normal Loan”, “Short Loan” and “Library Use Only” in the Type/Status column on SOLO:
Previously, “Library Use Only” books were referred to as “Reference” or “Confined” books but we think this new terminology makes their status clearer.
You can see whether, and for how long, you are entitled to borrow each category of book on our Borrowing Books web page.
Three new online resources have been purchased for our readers. All are now available on SOLO:
- Polling the Nations [available at http://solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/OXVU1:LSCOP_OX:OXFORDOXF05482] – a compilation of full-text questions and responses from over 14,000 national, state, and local surveys conducted since 1986 by more than 1,400 polling organisations in 100 countries. It is described by Choice as “a resource beyond compare in the polling field”.
- NK Pro [available at http://solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/OXVU1:LSCOP_OX:OXFORDOXF05512 ] – an independent news, information and data platform that concentrates uniquely on North Korea. NK Pro features daily news, high level analysis, opinions and interviews from a range of scholars, diplomats, experts and North Korean defectors.
- NK News [available at http://solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/OXVU1:LSCOP_OX:OXFORDOXF05513 ] – an independent, privately-owned specialist information source that focuses on North Korea. The site intends to provide authoritative news, opinion & analysis, research tools, data and subject specialists.
Next week, Bodleian Libraries will be running the following FREE workshop. Please follow the link below to book your place:
Bodleian iSkills: Open Access Oxford – what’s happening? (Tue 22 August 14.00-15.00)
A briefing on open access publishing and Oxford’s position, including guidance on how to comply with the Open Access requirements for the REF and mandates from key funding bodies whilst respecting your publisher’s rights and policies.
- what is open access?
- key terms – Gold, Green, Article Processing Charges
- Act on Acceptance and fulfilling REF requirements
- How to find out about research council or funder requirements
- How to find out your publisher’s Open Access policy
- Funds for the payment of APCs and how to apply
- Oxford policy for payment of APCs for RCUK funded research
- Where to get more information & help;
Who is this session for: Current Oxford University academics, researchers, postgraduate research students, research support staff and librarians
Venue: Manor Road Building, Seminar Room E
Some Bodleian Digital Services will be unavailable from 1pm 4 August to 1 pm 7 August due to planned maintenance.
The following services will not be available from Friday afternoon to Monday morning:
Digital Miscellanies Index
British Book Trade Index
Maps and Music – Digitised Card Catalogue
Force Migration Online
London Book Trades
Apologies for the inconvenience caused.