From Monday 3rd October we will revert to our term time opening hours of 9am-7pm, Monday-Friday. We are also pleased be able to announce that we are extending Saturday opening hours this year, and so will be open from 10am-2pm on Saturdays during term time (0th-8th week).
Welcome back to anyone returning to Oxford after the summer! If you have been away, you may have missed the fact that over the summer, the Bodleian Libraries moved to a new library system. There is now a new version of SOLO which will allow you not only to search for books, journals and other resources, but which you can also use to place stack requests, and check and renew your loans. The old OLIS interface is no longer available, either for searching the catalogue or for these functions.
There is an online guide available to help you both with searching SOLO and with managing your account: http://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/solo
The online guide includes step-by-step instructions and video tutorials on:
- Logging on
- Placing stack requests and reservations
- Renewing your books
Using the e-shelf
If you need more help, the Bodleian Libraries are also running training sessions throughout Michaelmas Term. See http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/services/training/solo-workshops for more information and dates.
Resetting your password (for library PCs, wireless network, SOLO for non-University members)
You can now reset your library password yourself using an online form at: https://register.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/rescue.
New system bugs
As with any new system, there are a few things which aren’t working smoothly yet. Our systems team is working hard with the software supplier to get everything fixed as soon as possible, but in the meantime you may come across the following problems:
- Stack requests for books in the VHL stack: Some readers are currently unable to place requests for books in the VHL stack via SOLO. If you find this affects you, please ask us and we will place the request on your behalf.
- VHL stack displaying as ‘remote store’: Please be assured that our stack has not moved! VHL stack books are still on site, even though on SOLO they will say ‘remote store’. We hope to be able to change this.
- VHL books displaying as loans, even when they’re not: Many of our books now say ‘standard loan’ on SOLO. Unlike other libraries, this does not mean they are borrowable! We hope to be able to change this too.
- Problems ordering multivolume works: There have been difficulties placing stack requests for books which have multiple volumes or journals. If you are having difficulty, please ask staff and we can put the request in for you.
- E-shelf data: Any records which you saved to your e-shelf should have migrated, but a few went astray on the way. If you are missing your e-shelf data, let us know and we can ask the Systems Team to restore it for you.
If you come across any other problems, or are having difficulty using SOLO, please do ask us and we will do what we can to help you!