iSkills: E-books (Friday 21 November 9.15-10.30) – The Bodleian Libraries has over 624,000 e-books, with titles in all subject areas, but do you feel confident in finding and using them? Come along to this workshop to find out how to find and make the most of e-books including searching, downloading, using your own device (or not) and making annotations. Please book your place online.
iSkills: E-book Readers (Friday 21 November 10.45-12.15) – Are you considering using an e-reader? This workshops looks at the different devices available for reading e-books including Kindle, Nook and the use of iPad and Android tablets and Smartphone as e-readers. We will cover the pros and cons of each device and give you the opportunity to handle the hardware and try it out. Please book your place online.
Research Skills Toolkits – IT and Information Skills and services for your research (week 8) – A free hands-on workshop for research students introducing key tools, techniques and resources. Topics covered in this 2 hour session include:
- Reference management software
- Literature searching and advanced search techniques
- Keeping up to date with emerging research
- Managing your thesis with Word
- Analysing data with Excel pivot tables
- Podcasting with Audacity and Weblearn
- Free software for image manipulation
- Measuring research impact
- Your thesis, copyright and submitting to ORA
During the sessions you will also meet with subject specialists for help and guidance on further training.
These workshops which are run jointly by IT Services and the Bodleian Libraries are open to graduate researchers and take place in week 8 of Michaelmas and week 1 of Hilary Term as follows:
- Research Skills Toolkit for Social Sciences (Tues 2 Dec 14.00-16.00 and repeated Thurs 4 Dec 14.00-16.00, Fri 5 Dec 10.00-12.00, Tues 20 Jan 10.00-12.00) – Book a place
- Research Skills Toolkit for Humanities subjects (Wed 3 Dec 10.00-12.00 and repeated Mon 19 Jan 14.00-16.00) – Book a place
- Research Skills Toolkit for History, Archaeology and Classics (Wednesday 21 Jan 14.00-16.00) – Book a place
- Research Skills Toolkit for English (Thursday 22 Jan 10.00-12.00) – Book a place
What’s coming up in the iSkills programme – Later this term we have a workshop on Mendeley. To see what’s coming up see the iSkills timetable
Keeping up with Bodleian Libraries training opportunities: Why not follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/bodleianskills or visit the Bodleian iSkills blog at http://blogs.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/skills/
Questions? – Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org