[Update 24/01/2020] Access has now been restored to the first row of book shelves on the Western side of the VHL on the 1st and 2nd Floor. Readers will be able to collect their own books from these shelves. We thank everyone for their patience during this time]
Work is continuing in the Vere Harmsworth Library to prepare for the RSL Decant. This includes works on the First and Second Floor and internal book moves, which will allow for the RSL titles to be shelved on the Second Floor (see the RSL Decant Project 2020-21 for more details).
The following blogpost covers updates from 12/12/2019.
Access on western side of the 1st and 2nd Floor and Staff Collection Service [Updated 16/12/2019]
Due to works on the western side of the 1st and 2nd Floor (the sides facing Love’s Lane), the first row of book shelves immediately facing the Western sides have been covered, to protect our collections. From 16/12/2019 these books on the 1st and 2nd Floor shelves are not accessible to Readers, either to browse, or to collect titles. The VHL will be operating a staff fetching service for this area, in liaison with the contractors.
If you require books within the Call Number ranges:
AC 5 .G615 –BR 555 . M
F1 – F152 .L85 1957
please ask at the Enquiry Desk, or email email@example.com, and our staff will collect the title for you to consult. If you are unsure if the books you wish to consult will be affected, please ask library staff.
Please note that this does not include titles on the other side of the shelf, (BR 555 . N onward or F13 onward), and the rest of the 1st and 2nd Floor titles will still be accessible to Readers.
Second Floor Book Moves – F Sequence
As part of the internal book moves, titles which are part of the F Classification, are in the process of being split across the Second and First Floor. This work will be occurring over the next few days. The VHL Librarian will update Readers once this work has been complete. Please see above regarding titles from the F Sequence which are currently only available through our staff fetching service.
If Readers require any titles from the F Sequence, or are unsure of where their book might be, please ask the Library staff at the Enquiry Desk.
Other Book Move Updates
As of 12/12/2019, the following moves are ongoing:
- Work has started on moving Radcliffe Science Library books to the VHL Stack on Monday 9 December. A fetching service for books will be provided for RSL Readers whilst the transfer is taking place. See here for more information.
First and Second Floor
- Work has started on moving Radcliffe Science Library books to the VHL Second Floor on the eastern side (facing the car park). A fetching service for books will be provided for RSL Readers whilst the transfer is taking place. See here for more information.
- The rest of the titles on the First and Second Floor have been moved along the shelves to fill up empty shelf space, and create room for the RSL collection. Readers may notice that some titles have been moved a few shelves along, but should still be available and on the same floor, except for the F Sequence (please see above).
As of 12/12/2019, the following planned book moves have been completed:
- New York Times and Washington Post Newspapers have been moved to the BSF for the duration of the RSL Decant.
- The Congressional Record has been moved into the VHL Stack, and is available by request (please include details such as the Congress/Volume that you require.) Please note that the Bodleian Library also provides online access to the Congressional Record.
- A number of primary sources have been moved to the Ground Floor. They are currently housed along the row of shelves where the Congressional Record was, and on the recently installed metal shelving on the wall of the Godfrey Hodgson Study Room. Please check our previous blogpost on the Ground Floor book moves for more information.
- Items from the Microfilm collection have been moved to the BSF. Collections which have been moved are either collections where we have complete, stable online access, or other collections within the Bodleian Libraries. Microfilm cards can still be requested by Readers to be viewed in certain Bodleian Libraries.
- Because of this, several Microfilm cabinets have been removed. The remaining cabinets have been reorganised.
- The Microfilm guides have been moved to the recently installed metal shelving on the wall of the Godfrey Hodgson Study Room.
- The Reference collection has been relegated in line with Appendix C in the RSL Decant History Addendum, as part of the Consultation Process. Please refer to the Information Desk if you are having trouble finding any specific titles.
- The remaining Reference Collection is now located on the recently installed metal shelving on the wall of the Godfrey Hodgson Study Room, and the end island cases.
First and Second Floor
- A number of journal titles have been relegated in line with Appendix B in the RSL Decant History Addendum, as part of the Consultation Process. Please refer to the Information Desk if you are looking for specific titles.
- The New Journal Display has been moved from the First Floor, and will be reinstalled on the Ground Floor as part of the New Books Display.
- All Oversize titles are now located on the First Floor on the east side (the side facing the car park). Oversize materials have an x at the front of their Call numbers (for example xA 124 .B45 2000). If you are unsure if the book you are searching for is oversize or not, ask at the enquiry desk.
If you are struggling to find any specific titles, please ask at the Information Desk, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We apologise for any disruption or inconvenience caused at this time.